Monday 26 July 2010

Guangzhou

So much for my daily blogging plans...
I'm not sure if it's specific to the Company blog as I can view other blogs or it might be the writing rather than the reading or as someone suggested it could be the 'Blue' in the title is reason enough for the authorities to doubt its suitability!
The past few days have been a fascinating and confusing time, the Symposium has been looking at the position of contemporary dance in China and I've been trying to piece together a picture of how inclusive dance might fit into that...or not.
Disabled people seen so far? One. Context? Begging on the street. I'm told that I will not see disabled people here as they are hidden, only to be wheeled out when deemed appropriate.
I'm hearing about control and restriction but also about support and pride. We met a group of young independent dancers to discuss their perspective which included working on gay rights issues and providing opportunities for disabled people to dance.
Saw two performances yesterday, one an inspiring solo performed by a dancer, well respected in the modern dance community, I thought it a bit clichéd but beautiful and thoughtful. The second performance was at the extraordinary brand spanking new sci-fi opera house performed by the City Contemporary Dance Company and it was dull, really dull, so dull I fell asleep.

BUT I've just come out of a Youth Dance Showcase that was extraordinary, my breath has been taken away... will write more tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment