Thursday 29 July 2010

Night Train to Shanghai...

Writing this on the night train to Shanghai: it's packed with people who were herded together through the station system, security check, waiting area and onto the train, which actually makes sense when you arrive at your destination the platforms are empty allowing everyone to alight with ease. A 16 hour journey, I can smell cigarette smoke, beef noodles and hot feet. My travel buddies are Carmen, Irene (both in food sales!) and Tiger (11 years old going on 40) they are all delightful and teach me to play poker through scribbling on notebooks and overseeing my hand!

But to reflect on Guangzhou. I'm a bit overwhelmed by all the people I've met, workshops and performances I've taken in over the past 5 days. It's been very different from anything I have ever experienced in the UK, similar broad range of quality and experience not necessarily equated, but there are huge cultural differences.... of course what did I expect? But what's the mindset of a country emerging from communist control? The government controlled organisations, agencies and activities operating in one world and the underground cultural scene thriving as an alternative.






No comments:

Post a Comment