Tuesday 8 December 2009

Where the wind blows tour-reflections and thoughts

This weekend was supposed to be time for me to rest and recover from the weeks tour of Where the Wind Blows in the east midlands. However I could not stop myself from talking to friends -thinking about various characters we met along the way, the fact I almost had no room on the final nights stay over due to an admin error, and being woken up on my day off on numerous occasions due to the fire alarm going off! I was later told that this was due to someones hair being set alight by their hair dryer and some over excited hair products. Oh the joys of the touring dancer!!

Every aspect of our working day was a joy to be a part of but I was particularly pleased with my ability to make choices about which workshop model was going to be suitable for each group. Most of the time this was not decided until we met the groups as they arrived to watch the show. Clare and I had a fifteen minute slot between the end of the performance and the start of the workshop. This was initially quite challenging for me but I became more confident as the project progressed. One group in particular were quite challenging so we decided to get everyone in chairs to work on the floor and we created tasks still based on the theme but with a different focus which could be done from the floor. A high percentage of the young people had one to one support from school staff which made it easier for us to really focus on getting the most out of each young person. It was a joy to perform each day. I liked the routine of this, and I feel I learned such a lot as a performer and workshop leader.

The feedback has been lovely - with an email this morning saying 'it's rare to find your combination of professional artistry and thoughtful, process-based workshop leading and communication with our young people. It seems everyone left the room feeling 'I can do...' surely the whole point of creativity in education'.
- 'Drama Becky' from Rowangate School in Wellingborough.

It's great to feel these young people will be inspired to keep dancing and working in an inclusive way. On reflection I feel it was a hugely successful week and I look forward to the next round which will take place in the southwest in the new year.

No comments:

Post a Comment