Wednesday 7 October 2009

In my second month now!

Well hi. Miriam here.

I'm in my second month now at Blue Eyed Soul Dance Company. The members have really welcomed me... and my coloured pens!... and the amount of fantastic experiences I have had here already is incredible.

Has it really been only one month?

Do I really only work 25hrs a week?

Incredible.

My first month has seen me enagaging in a variety of different aspects of the company's work:-

Working as Sally's support at the Liberty Festival where I was thrilled to watch her first ariel dance performance, SUGAR. We really bonded that day and our working relationship has been building stronger ever since. In fact, during my second week, upon one of my unpredictable breaking into song moments I was thrilled and relieved to hear Sally say...
'Phew, you're totally bonkers!... Just like Rachel!'

Co-choreographing a performance with Sally and the Contact group for the AGM. This group have been working together already for many years and the high standards, strong levels of commitment, deep bonds between dancers, and ability to create high quality dance performance is clear and humbling. I have really enjoyed working with this group and getting to know them- and their laughter and joy- through the themes of the performance- Introductions: Who Are you When You Dance?

I have also had the pleasure of co-delivering with Sally some one-off workshops such as 50Ways to Lead a Workshop where I have had the truly precious experience of seeing workshop participants arrive looking at the floor with their arms folded.... and leave with their heads held high, giggling, with their arms around each other.

All this combined with getting to know the company's contacts and developing their extensive education and training programme.... newver mind finding out where the nearest shos are!... has been a whirlwind of brain and heart activity! Nearly all my telephone conversations have at the heart of them the trust and connection people have for the company from their past relationships and projects together and everybody asks after Rachel Liggitt and send their love to her and her new baby.

I feel I have been given the job of foster parent to a beautiful precious dancing child who has been brought up really well so far with the exact amount of love, care, attention and strictness required; and every day I breathe through this and feel such pride to be in this position.

This, my second month mainly sees me:
  • Booking in our Where the Wind Blows tour to West Midlands, East Midlands (wondering if I'll get to go to any schools I know and love already from my home region) and South West
  • Beginning to launch our 2year inclusive youth dance programme in Telford and Wrekin
  • Applying for funding to create a performance tour to sound out interest in an inclusive county dance company
More exciting times to come! I'll keep you all posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment