Friday 10 July 2009

Positive Altitude






This is a long overdue post-performance post about my take on TAKE – definitely one of the best experiences of my life. I have been so impressed by the tremendous goodwill that has surrounded the project and the generosity of everyone I’ve come into contact with, sharing skills and expertise, food, laughter and arnica cream. My friends tease me for my liberal use of the word ‘beautiful’ to describe everyone and everything (to the extent that they have to put it in quotation marks) but from the rig to the weather, the B word applies. Even our bruises were beautiful.

Working with Blue Eyed Soul has been like breaking into an organic fortune cookie (or perhaps something more wholesome like a flapjack) to find a lifetime of wisdom. Soul food indeed. It’s also been amazing to work with a company who celebrate all bodies – faced with this acceptance, mine surrendered to behaving itself and I finished the shows feeling stronger and healthier than I thought possible – so much so that I’ve signed up for an aerial summer school, to keep up the momentum til the next shows. (Being very careful of course Rachel!)

The performances themselves flew by, caught up in the enjoyment of working together to share what we had made. I did have a (in-retrospect) comedy moment in the first show when the ascent karabiner got stuck in my grigri at the top of the rig and I couldn’t swap ropes to descend the leg. Once the initial panic had subsided, I was just gutted to think I might have to spend the rest of the piece sitting at the top. Fortunately, I had some discreet (I hope!) direction from our rigger on the ground and all was well, lesson learned. Really looking forward to seeing everyone and performing again at the other end of the summer for some more ‘beautiful’ physics in action.

(With thanks to Lewis for the shamelessly poached title of this blog!)

No comments:

Post a Comment